Wednesday, March 7, 2012

How To be a Missionary

Some people think that you can only be a missionary when you go on your mission. Missions are when boys that are the age of 19 and girls that are the age of 21, go and teach about our gospel. Boys are strongly recommended to go but girls have the choice whether they want to or not. You don't have to wait to be a missionary to start teaching people the gospel! START NOW!!! This year at school, I have gotten a lot of questions about what I believe in and what things we do and don't do. I am so grateful for this opportunity to tell people what my church is about. I know that it is important to be an example so that if people ask you questions that you are prepared to answer. I know I have gotten more questions when the Mormon commercials and billboards and other things come out.
 In a talk given by Elder Quentin L. Cook which is a Quorum of the 12 Apostles, talks about missionary work and how we first need to be a missionary all of our life. The Lord has laid upon us a mandate to teach the gospel to every creature. I think we all need to missionaries our whole life because Heavenly Father wants us to teach other people the gospel so that they can return with Him. Another point that he says, is don't be discouraged because missionary work is hard. I know that I struggle with this a few years ago. I was afraid when I told people what church I go to, that they would make fun of me. I know that my sister sometimes got made fun of but that never stopped her. I finally realized I should tell people about the gospel and since I have done that, my testimony has really grown and I have grown in the gospel so much. We should never feel to shy or embarrassed to share the gospel.  Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, speaks about how hard missionary work is and has been. He said, “I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience. Salvation never was easy. We are The Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, and He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him?” I really like that because I know it is true. It will be hard but it wasn't made to be easy. The last one he talks about is, be a good example and take every opportunity to share the gospel. I know I have taken every opportunity and sometimes it is hard to tell them in a little amount of time, but you can always tell them that you will tell them more about it later if they are interested. I know someone at our church that is a really good example and I want to share it with you. She is always carrying he Book of Mormon with her just in case she gets time in one of her classes, and by doing that, she has gotten many people asking her what it is and what it is about. She always answers their question and I look up to her. I hope you all know you can be missionaries! Don't be discouraged!! I am grateful to be a missionary on this earth and I am grateful for the gospel. I am grateful Heavenly Father gave us this opportunity to share the gospel. I hope as you go through this week, you will take those opportunities when someone asks you. 


If you want to read his whole talk click on this link:  http://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/09/be-a-missionary-all-your-life?lang=eng&query=missionary+work

You are all wonderful missionaries!!!!

3 comments:

  1. That's such a great post! Missionary work is SOOO important! just think about how much joy the gospel brings, and we get the opportunity to share that with others!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog over at Whit's blog. I think you young women are amazing for using blogs to share the gospel! I wish blogging had been around when I was a YW :) You are definitely living what you are preaching on your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love blogging so much and I think it is an amazing thing!

      Delete